Friday, July 18, 2008

Molly Wizenberg's "Fluff Piece"

If any of you read Wizenberg's July article in Bon Appetit, and were a bit atheistic in your belief that homemade marshmallows could be not only easy to make, but more delicious than their store-bought counter parts, than I'm here to proselytize.

The process is quite simple. You dissolve some unflavored gelatin in water in the bowl of a stand mixer. Meanwhile, you boil a simple syrup of water, sugar, and corn syrup. When that mixture is hot enough, you drizzle it into the mixing bowl, while whisking. At first, there's a grayish sludge sloshing around, but soon, billows of sticky marshmallow fluff erupt in a manner reminiscent of the Stay-Puff marshmallow man in Ghost busters.

Then the mixture gets patted into an oiled, aluminum-foil lined pan. This is the hardest part. The marshmallow is still quite hot at this point, and it strings out and sticks to EVERYTHING but preserve. Wetting my hands and rubber scraper with cold water, helped considerably.

And, hey, I wasn't complaining about not being able to get the beater clean, because what I couldn't scrap off, I ate off.

Then the marshmallows need to set up at room temp for at least four hours. I left mine overnight. Then, I dusted the marshmallows with a mixture of powdered sugar and corn starch (Wizenberg calls for potato starch, but I couldn't find it in Boise supermarkets.) You cut into slices, and viola!

Amazing marshmallows! The fresh creaminess of these marshmallows is quite startling they're so good. I made s'mores with these and the way they toasted was almost like creme brullee. A wonderful, golden, caramelization that just isn't possible with store bought marshmallows.

5 comments:

jana said...

Oh my gosh I'm drooling all over myself here. Makes me want to go camping just so I have an excuse to make marshmallows!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, I just can't imagine making marshmallows but I bet they were amazingly good. I don't think I will ever try these but I would love to taste them, especially in a Smores. Maybe you will bring some home in August???? Mom

boo face mcjones said...

oh my goodness, these look DELIGHTFUL. if you have any leftovers, feel free to send them my way... with some of that homemade pasta from the previous post.
mmm-mmm...

Jodi said...

You are amazing. I am alway blown away by the food 'projects' you take on. Marshmellows...Wow. Brilliant.

Cindy Salo said...

Oh my gracious! You've made marshmallows sound...good!